I finished the bathmat with NO YARN to spare...I wasn't even sure if I was going to make it thru the bind-off. I used Peaches n' Cream Cotton in White and Yellow that was in the stash on 10 1/2 US needles. The pattern is in the book Knit 2 Together and the only thing I did to change the pattern was instead of a M1....I did a YO. I didn't get to the size of the mat in the book but that's because I was just knitting until I ran out of yarn.
I also have been sewing a little and using the book Generation T: Beyond Fashion: 120 New Ways to Transform a T-shirt and making grocery/market bags....here's a finished one I used an iron-on on.